Frederick Hillenbrand, better known as Rick by his friends and family, has resided in Hampshire County, WV since 2011.
He graduated with a Bachelors of Engineering in Naval Architecture from the State University of New York Maritime College, Fort Schuyler (with honors) and earned both a Master of Science degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering and an Ocean Engineer degree (a post-Master’s degree) from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Upon graduation from NY Maritime College, he received a merchant marine license as 3rd Assistant Engineer for steam and motor vessels of unlimited horsepower, and was commissioned as a naval officer. Qualified in Submarines as an Unrestricted Line Officer, he spent most of his over 20 years on active duty as an Engineering Duty Officer working in multiple naval shipyards and in program management. He retired as a Commander and at the time was the Chief of Naval Operations staff Program Manager responsible for the Navy’s (then) nearly 200 ship inactive fleet responsible for ship scrapping, donations and foreign military sales. After the Navy he worked as: a Senior Engineer for M. Rosenblatt and Son (sold to AMSEC LLC), a Senior Associate for Booz, Allen and Hamilton, Inc., American Woodmark in Moorefield, WV and the (then) New Page pulp and paper mill in Luke, MD. He retired from working for pay in 2014, but since then he has been very active as a volunteer from the local to the national levels.
Rick is an experienced Servant-Leader both professionally and as volunteer for decades. Some of his more notable volunteer positions have included:
- Technology Chair for the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) National Commissioner Service Team (2014-2021)
- Bluffs on the Potomac Property Owners Association (Hampshire and Mineral Counties, WV) Board of Directors (2011 – 2013, 2021 – current)
- Trustee, Senior Warden, Treasurer and licensed Worship Leader II for St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Romney, WV (2013 – current)
- Romney Cub Scout Pack 32 Committee Chair (20014 – current)
- Refresh Restart Romney Vice President (2017 – current)
- Officer, Executive and Advisory Board member for various local and regional BSA organizations (2007 – current)
- BSA Area, Council and local District Commissioner, serving as many 2.5 million youth and their families (1997 – current)
Rick is married to Barbie Hillenbrand, and like Rick, Barbie is super engaged in her community currently serving as the Chair for the WV Peach Festival. Like himself, Rick’s two sons Karl and Christopher are Eagle Scouts. Karl is a doctor of cardiovascular & thoracic anesthesia at the University of Kentucky, and his family resides in Lexington, KY. Along with his wife Erin, Karl has three children, James (a Cub Scout), Emily and Ian. Christopher is a quality control manager for Clark Construction in San Diego, CA. Chris and his wife Rachel, a school teacher, have a son Hunter. Karl is a former Navy Lieutenant Commander / Flight Surgeon, and Christopher is in the Navy Reserve and has been selected for promotion to Lieutenant Commander. Barbie also has two sons, Matt, who also served in the Navy, is a Regional Sales Manager with P&J Arcomet Crane Systems, and Wes who flies helicopters doing aerial tree trimming and vegetation control for Signature Utility Services. Together Matt and Wes have three children, Lila, Juliette and Victor, bringing to seven the number of grandchildren Rick and Barbie have.